Saturday, March 5, 2016

 
On The Pier – Gulf Shores, AL
One morning while we were at Gulf Shores, AL, we took a walk down The Pier at Gulf Shores.  Altho there were several fishermen (and a woman or two) out there, they were actually not all that social, and most went out of their way not to make eye contact with us.  If we had been in the northeast, I would have thought that it was that New England stand-off-ish-ness that I’ve read about.  It seemed pretty clear, tho, that they had us pegged as touristas, and didn’t want to have much to do with us.  However, the pelicans on The Pier were certainly accommodating to having their photo taken, and had no problem making eye contact!
Pelican Perch
This first guy was more than willing to having his photo taken, and patiently posed for me as I walked around him to get at his best angle!
Pelican Profile
This guy seemed to be a bit of a ham!  He carefully posed, moving around (but not at all skittish of me) until he presented me with what he thought was his “best side”.  And, I agree – a great pose!
Sunning on The Pier
I never really thought about pelican varieties, but clearly, there are different ones.  This guy’s head was covered in pale yellow feathers.  Or, if not a different variety, perhaps this is a young pelican, not quite an adult?  I don’t know, but he, too, was more than happy to pose with a bit of the pier in the background so we know exactly where he was at!
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment