Saturday, March 5, 2016

Alligator Marsh Trail – Gulf Shores, AL
On the last morning we were at Gulf State Park, we decided to walk a trail that wound around the campground.  There were some interesting sights to behold…..
Yellow Fronds
I told you in a previous post how fascinated I was with the type of palm that grew here, sort of a fan palm.  It seems to pretty much be a plant type of palm, instead of a tree variety.  Here’s one that had yellow leaves.  I think it must be at the end of its life cycle, but I did like the different color.
Spring Green
Probably because it’s the beginning of spring, I was very taken with the bright, yet soft green that I saw on many plants and grasses in the area.  This was some tall grass that grows along the trail.
At a Distance
Finally!  There are warnings all over the park about how dangerous the alligators were and to be alert to seeing them (and staying away!).  I wouldn’t even let Jeff let Miki off her lead when we were walking because I was afraid she’s go off into the brush and run into one.  As we finished up walking the trail, a couple of other folks told us they just saw a gator just off the main road into the campground.  We walked in the direction they pointed and saw this guy.  Now, I have to admit, gators make me a lot more nervous than the bears we encountered a couple of years ago in Alaska!  Why?  Well, to me, bears have a brain and they use some sort of logic (altho I do not profess to be any sort of expert on bear logic).  I had some idea of how to stay safe around bears.  However, gators are just big reptiles, and I don’t think reptilian brains follow much logic.  Therefore, they are much scarier to me!  That doesn’t mean I’m not curious, tho…….and besides, this guy was on the other side of a small creek or river that ran alongside the campground road.
Enjoying the Sun
This guy just laid right where he was at enjoying the morning sun for quite a long time.  Many different folks stopped by to see him, including a couple of park rangers, and he just stayed in the same spot.  I think gators always look as tho they are smiling….perhaps thinking about what a tasty treat we’d be??
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment