Sunday, March 20, 2016

Big Cypress Scenery
We’ve seen a lot of wildlife and views from our airboat rides, but there was other scenery at Big Cypress National Park worth taking a look at!
Swamp Reflection
Isn’t this pretty?  This was taken when we were exploring along the scenic route where we saw all the alligators.  Altho this is a lovely, sort of peaceful scene, I can’t help but feel some foreboding when I look at it.  Just before I took this image, there was an alligator floating there.  He submerged and this is what it looks like – deceptively peaceful. 
Thru Flowing Water
As I stood along a culvert, I looked down and saw some great colors beneath the water (and no alligator!!).  I couldn’t help but capture this.  I’m thinking that besides being a cool image on its own, it would be cool background for some digital art, and would even be cool quilting fabric, if I knew how to do that!
Reflections Thru the Water
I like this image because of the depth in the image.  The reflections of the trees rides on top of the water, and then, there’s that great greenery below.  It’s a rather complex image, but yet, it feels peaceful.
Cypress Strand
If you’ve been reading this blog in order, you’ve seen me make reference to cypress “strands”.  I’ll bet you thought that was a mistake or typo – nope!  They really are called cypress strands!  A cypress strand is a “community” (the definition’s term) of cypress trees growing along a slow-moving stream.  Cypress trees are known for their “cypress knees” which are woody projections that rise above the water, but are considered part of the root system.  It is believed that these tend to stabilize the trees in the wet ground.  You can see one of these “knees” in the image below (lower right corner of the image) – at least, I think it’s a “knee”
Cypress Strand – Horizontal
Natural Spotlight
As we walked along the boardwalk in the cypress strand, I saw this lovely intimate natural portrait.  The sun drifted thru the cypress and spotlighted these tiny waterlily type blooms.  The image below doesn’t have the natural spotlight going on, but it does have what I’m calling the tiny waterlilies.
Tiny Waterlilies
Swamp Grass
Also along the boardwalk, I looked down and saw this cool sort of swap grass growing beneath the surface water.  The color of the grass, combined with the water in which they are growing and the light shining thru, make this a really surreal natural image!
Enjoy!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment