Had so much fun over the past day or so creating these ATCs for an art swap! The theme for the swap was "unusual postage stamps" and we got to define unusual - take a look -
The foundation for each of these was some graphics of postcards that I had previously scanned. I printed out the larger size items and then used a portion of the postcard as the background for each piece - after all, it sort of tied in with the whole stamp idea. For the piece above, I loved the little elephant stamp - I'm guessing this was some sort of tribute to the 70's???
The next layer of each of these pieces was a new technique that I just came across in a creative magazine, using Citrasolv and alcohol inks. Basically, I dampened a paper towel with the Citrasolv, added a couple of drops of different colored alcohol inks and then wiped the card. The colors of the ink painted the postcard type background with some lovely swirls of color. For the above piece, I added the fun stamp with the beach umbrella and a portion of a cocktail umbrella to complement it!
For the above piece, I added a star that I punched out of some scrapbook paper. I really liked the graphics of this stamp, and the colors of the ink really seemed to capture the fun feel of the star.
This last piece highlighted a stamp from New Zealand. I really liked the colors of it and used ink colors that offset it nicely. What a fun discovery this alcohol ink technique was. I think I'll have to try it out on some other substrates, too!