Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Puerto Egas – James Bay – Santiago Island – Galapagos Islands

 
This area on Santiago Island was once owned by the Egas family (hence the name).  They tried ranching; however, there’s not really any fresh water on any of the Galapagos Islands, so there effort was sort of doomed from the start.  They gave it to the government of Ecuador, but later tried to buy it back in order to build an upscale resort on it.  Thank goodness, the government said no!
On Shore at Puerto Egas
This was our first view of the island.  It truly feels like a deserted island – the only creature to greet us was a Giant Blue Heron, which you will see in a later post.
Shoreline at Puerto Egas
This hike was incredibly hot and humid, and I wasn’t sure that I’d make it back to our landing area.  It was scenes like these that sort of kept me going……wishing I could just take a dip in the nice cool waters!
Rock Texture
This is an example of the terrain we walked on for at least the first part of our hike this morning.  I was fascinated with the texture of the rock.  I can sort of sea what I imagine was the movement of the waves in the rock, can’t you?
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment