Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Marine Iguanas – Puerto Egas – Santiago Island – Galapagos Islands

Ok, I admit it.  These guys are really very ugly.  Whenever I look at them, I think of some very old “B” movies that I used to watch as a kid (and the movies were old even back then!) where creatures would always seem to be invading Japan and threatening the people there.  I’m not sure why these creatures always seemed to pick on Japan, but that’s a thought for another blog! 
Marine Iguana Close Up
When I thought of the Galapagos before visiting here, I always thought of it as having some creatures living there that seemed prehistoric…..and these guys certainly fit the bill!  They are actually fairly large, but not threateningly large!  It’s mainly their appearance that is so off-putting – they really didn’t care about us, and wouldn’t bite us or anything.  They are not meat eaters….at least not humans!
 
Iguanas Heading Out
The most amazing thing about these guys was that they were just all over the place!  As we walked, I almost tripped over a couple and was very careful to watch my step from that point on!  Again, they wouldn’t have hurt me; I just didn’t want to hurt them!
Iguanas on the Rocks
They really are sort of fascinating creatures, tho, and it was rather amazing how they tended to blend into their environment.  They spend time on the rocks warming their bodies, which is why they are just sort of laying around.  Once they get warmed up enough, they will head back out to the open water….
Iguana Hot Tub
…or enjoy themselves in what looks like the iguana version of a hot tub!  I couldn’t resist this shot!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment