Sunday, May 10, 2015

Flightless Cormorants – Punta Vincente Rocca – Isabela Island – Galapagos Islands
 
I found it so interesting that there are birds in the Galapagos that don’t fly.  I cannot now recall why it’s thought that they evolved to become flightless, but they are – still, they are rather cool!
Flightless Cormorant Drying Wings
After they are in the water for a period of time, they climb up onto the rocky shore and open their little wings to let them dry.   It’s kind of an interesting sight to see.
Flightless Cormorant Resting
I like this image of one of the cormorants, just sort of resting on the rocky shore…..or is he searching the water for food?
9594 – Flightless Cormorant Drying Wings
I like this image for a couple of reasons – I like the positioning of the 2 most obvious cormorants – they almost look like they are facing each other, except, of course, they aren’t.  Do you see the 3rd cormorant in the bottom right corner of the image, too?  The other reason I like this image is because you can really see how puny their wings are.
Drying Its Wings
The reason I like this image so much is because of the cormorant’s neck.  I think the amount of twisting he’s got going on there is really quite amazing!
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment