Tuesday, April 26, 2016

 
Meeks General Store
As I said in my introductory post, Mr. Meeks was quite the entrepreneur, and into many different businesses.  One of the business was a general store.  That store has been recreated in much the same way as it looked back during the Civil War.  Usually, we would have had to just step inside the store and look at the shelves thru plate glass windows.  However, on this 151st anniversary date, the volunteer who was manning the shop, so to speak, let us in behind the glass, so that I could get some really interesting photos without worrying about the glare of the glass.
Inside Meeks Store
There were many shelves with what seemed to be an eclectic collections of products and goods to buy.  This old sign for hair and whisker ointment caught my eye.  It claims to be stimulating, and from the look of this gentlemen’s hair and whiskers, it seems to stimulate a lot of growth!
Meeks Store Shelves
A general store had to have just about anything and everything someone might come in and ask for.  Again, I love the signage and all the different bottles of “stuff”!  I do wonder what “English Mustard” is, tho!  And, this store also served as the post office – see the sign on the far right?
Smokers and Chewers
This sign made me chuckle.  It’s ok to smoke and chew tobacco inside the shop, but please don’t dirty the floor!  I also liked what looked to be a sampler above it, the clock and the long barrel rifle/shotgun.
Shop Cubbyholes
Sometimes I follow Jeff when he’s in a store looking for a particular nail or screw for a project.  That’s what these cubbyholes reminded me of – those small bins of nuts, bolts, and whatever.  However, nails back during the Civil War weren’t as small as they are today, so the cubbies had to be larger!  I also couldn’t help thinking how great it would be to have something like this in my studio!  Some things never change – they just get repurposed!
Old Time Sewing Store
If we hadn’t gotten to go behind the glass, we never would have seen this.  When I think of what sewing and quilting shops look like today, the difference is incredible.  The women of the Civil War era would have thought we are decadent in the amount of fabric and notions we have to choose from today!
Keg Taps
I didn’t know what these were, but Jeff told me they are keg taps – obviously antiques!  The gentlemen of the day certainly liked their beer and ale – some things never change!
Pottery Container
And, finally, on the way out, I spotted this pottery container.  I don’t know what it might have contained – could it have been a spittoon for a nice dining or smoking room?  Hard to think of something so pretty being used for such a purpose, but at least it would look nice in a room!
Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment