Thursday, April 7, 2016

Step into History
As I said in my previous blog post, we did get to explore the inside of the Tybee Island Light Station Head Keeper’s Quarters.  It was like stepping back into history…..
Vintage Sewing Machine
The keeper’s family didn’t have the luxury of being able to shop for clothes, so a sewing machine was a must at the quarters.  When I looked at this machine, it reminded me of one that my grandmother had.  The grate on the bottom of the machine was what she used to pump in order to get the machine running.  Hmmm…she could sew and get in a workout at the same time!
Vintage Clock Radio
I don’t know if this was the original radio that was in the light station when it was being used, but it is a lovely restoration of what certainly could have been in there.  I especially love the unique design – tall and upright!  It doesn’t function as a radio any longer, but they did have a cassette tape player in there to recreate the impression of what it sounded like in the cottage.
Lighthouse Library
This small cabinet housed the complete library for the keeper’s family!  When I think of all the books I have stacked up waiting for me to read them, it makes me a bit embarrassed!  After all the books have been read, there would be a visit to replace and replenish the collection in the “library”!
Craft Corner
Again, I’m embarrassed by all my riches at home!  This lone little basket of yarn and a rocking chair was about all the space that could be allotted to creative space.  Of course, with all that needed to be done by hand in those days, I’m not certain how much time would be left in the day for creative pursuits.  We’re so spoiled now!
Toy Closet 1
Upstairs, in what would be the girl’s bedroom, there was a huge closet built in the attic eve on one side of the room.  This was apparently a very deluxe toy closet.  I couldn’t fit the entire closet into one image, so I took two – above and below!
Toy Closet 2
Enjoy!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment