Thursday, April 7, 2016

Statues of Bonaventure
To continue a brief look at the history of this magnificent cemetery, let’s move on thru the years.  Ownership of the land changed hands several times over the continuing years, and in 1907, the Evergreen Corporation (of which Bonaventure was a part) was sold to the City of Savannah.  It then formally became Bonaventure Cemetery.  In 1994, the Bonaventure Historical Society was organized to assist restoration and preservation at Bonaventure.  Thru its efforts, Bonaventure Cemetery was place on the National Registry of Historic Places in February, 2001.
Little Gracie
Of all the monuments in the cemetery, the statues were my favorites.  This gravesite is one of the most visited gravesite in Bonaventure.  Gracie is depicted here in her Easter finery.  This statue was sculpted from a photograph taken of Gracie Watson shortly before her death at age 6.  She died of pneumonia 2 days before Easter.  This statue is life sized.  Gracie lived from 1883 – 1889.
Cemetery Angel
This cemetery angel is located right next to Little Gracie.  She appears to have just placed flowers on the table she’s standing next to.  The blooming flowers contribute to the gracefulness of this statue.
Cemetery Cross
I love the way this cross just seems to rise up out of the garden greenery below it.  The trees add a certain elegance to the overall effect.
Arched Monument
I love this image.  I feel like the statue (of Christ?  Saint Peter beside Heaven’s Gate?) is standing surveying the Garden of Eden, or whatever awaits us (hopefully) when we pass on.
Angel Looking Down
I feel as if this angel is hovering over the gravesite, guarding and protecting the person who lies beneath her.  Perhaps a representation of the person’s guardian angel?
Loving Guardian
I think this is my favorite angel image.  She isn’t very large, and is standing in the middle of garden greenery and blooming flowers, as you can see.  This angel was only about 20 feet from the grave of Johnny Mercer, and I came across her before I asked someone where Johnny Mercer’s grave was.  She just gives off the aura of love and peace.
Weeping Among the Moss
I happened to see this angel as we were driving around trying to find our way to Johnny Mercer’s grave.  She’s not that far from it, I don’t think.  In any event, I made Jeff stop so I could run back to this vantage point to capture her either weeping or praying among the hanging moss.  To me, this statue conveys the greatest feeling of grief that I came across in the cemetery.  A love of a lifetime lost?  Who knows?  This ends on a sad note, but overall, the feeling of this cemetery is one of beauty and peace.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment