Thursday, August 14, 2014

Welcome to Kennicott



At the end of a very long, very rough dirt road, lies the town of Kennicott.  There are some very cool buildings in various states of disrepair – take a look!


 
Now, I now live in a small town, but Kennicott is absolutely tiny by comparison to my little home town in New Mexico!  Kennicott does not have any water wells or amenities of any sort.  However, Alaskans are a hearty group – thanks to generators, the town does have toilets with indoor plumbing, electric lights, etc.!  However, the town in dependent on a stream that runs thru the area for the water that they use.  It’s a charming little town – however, I would not want to arrive back from a trip (perhaps 1 LONG day or overnight) to find that I forgot one ingredient I needed for dinner!  My creativity would be put to totally new uses!!


 
I would have totally missed this if not for Jeff.  These are the old water pipes that were used for the copper mill/mine and town.  The interesting thing about these pipes is that they are made of wood!  They are wrapped with steel cables – I guess to keep them together.  I know this isn’t a cool photo for photographic purposes, but the makeup of the pipes warranted a posting.


 
I’m not certain, but I think this was probably some sort of residence for the workers in the copper mill/mine.  I really like the impression of a somewhat wavy foundation – and actually, it probably wasn’t an impression.  Back in 1936, there was a huge flood that runs by this building (it’s actually in the forefront of this image, but out of sight) and covered quite a bit of it.


 
There is work being done to reconstruct much of the copper mill/mine area of Kennicott; however, it’s a slow process and this building has most definitely not been rebuilt yet!  I do love the look of the worn wood and the inadvertent sky lights!


 
This is a house on the other side of the stream that I mentioned above.  This one will make another appearance is some creative digital collages that I did, but for right now, enjoy it in “reality”.  I love the tone of the wood, tilt of the windows and the front porch and “deck” on the side of it.


 
This is the stream that I mentioned a couple of times in this posting.  It looks rather peaceful now, doesn’t it?  I really liked the gentleness of this image and decided to convert it into a photo painting.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment