Sunday, July 6, 2014

They Built the Highway


 
In Whitehorse, at the campground where we were staying, there were number of old, rusty vehicles that had been used in the construction of the Alaska Highway.  They have definitely seen their better day, but I have always loved old beat up trucks and so I thought I’d enhance them to really show off their character!
 

I’m not certain exactly the type of truck this was, but it certainly looks like it was meant to haul something, either workers, equipment or other supplies.  The character in the broken headlights and windows, and the greenery growing up thru its bumper and grill are really cool, in my humble opinion!

 
This is definitely something you don’t see around – an ambulance from that time!  I can almost imagine the driver, gripping that steering wheel, racing down whatever passed for a road during construction, getting the injured help.

 
Check out the snowplow attachment on this truck!  Winters are harsh and tough up here in northern Canada, and the truck (and driver) had to be as well.  Compare this little guy, tho, to today’s snowplows – makes the accomplishment of building this highway even more amazing.

 
Jeff said this truck was a Canadian truck.  I can’t really speak to that – I just love the detail of the number on the side of the truck and the wild roses growing up thru its grill!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment