Saturday, July 5, 2014

On the Road to Watson Lake


Our adventure continues!  We left Muncho Lake and our beautiful campsite and headed to Watson Lake, home of the Signpost Forest (but more about that in another post!).  There were some great photo ops along the way……
 

 
This image just spoke to me in terms of the vastness of where we were going, and how much more of our travel lay ahead of us.  It sort of felt like the parting of the Red Sea….

 
Isn’t this a cool sight?  I love the clouds sort of folding around the mountains in little wisps.  And look how the road just sort of curves and rolls along with it.  The entire image had fluidity to it, like it would move as we approached it…..but thank goodness it didn’t!
This photo reminds me of something a woman I worked with over 30 years ago said to me – “Stupid is forever”.  This woman is incredibly foolish (I’m choosing to be kind in the terms I’m using to describe her).  She was probably about 20 feet (give or take) from these bison/buffalo.  Adult bison generally range between 1200 to 2000+ pounds, and their looks are deceiving.  They look lumbering, but they can be amazingly quick.  She is very lucky that they didn’t startle at her being so close, or that 2 of the bulls didn’t decide to begin to fight.  By the time she realized they would have been coming at her, turned, ran across the road, and reached (not get into) her car, they would have been upon her and that wouldn’t have been a pretty picture.  Anyway, I’m getting off my soapbox now!

 
This last photo isn’t very good, but I’m including it to give you an idea of what a true “small town” along the Alaska Highway can be like……small is a bit of an overstatement, don’t you think?
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment