Monday, July 7, 2014

Charming Skagway



I had hoped that we’d see a historic, vintage looking town on our travels, and Skagway certainly delivered big time in that regard.  I’m not usually one for taking “architecture” type images, but this charming little downtown area really captured my imagination.  I felt like I had to transform my mere photographs into little paintings to fully display the character of this town…..
 

 
Skagway is set between the Coastal Mountains and the Inside Passage of Alaska.  You can see the mountains in the background of the main street in downtown Skagway – named Broadway.  I have to admit, this Broadway appeals more to me that the bigger brother that exists in New York!  Fits my style much better!

 
Here’s a different view of Broadway – I love the different colors and facades of the various buildings.  They even had a tribute (??) to a brothel here in the downtown area – reminiscent of the Gold Rush days when this little place was quite the place to be!!

 
And, I managed to find a quilt shop here, too!  What a quaint little shop on an equally quaint little side street off of Broadway.

 
Here’s the hustle bustle of the downtown, and the cool looking hotel on Broadway.  It was quite crowded in town the day we were there.  Skagway is a cruise line port of call, so when the ships are in, the town is hopping!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment