Thursday, November 26, 2015

 
Santu Pantalleu
On our way back to the ship from the winery, we stopped off at a small village called Santu Pantalleu.  I have to say, I just loved the small villages that we saw in our sampling of Europe.  Each one was so charming in its own way.  And, this one resulted in many photo paintings!
John Paul II
This is not a painting, but a rock sculpture that sits in the village center honoring Pope John Paul II.  I had to include this in the post because I really loved the simplicity of the workmanship – and the detail.  The folds of his cloak, the Madonna and Child carved into the cloak on the right as we look at it, his face, etc.  All of these items are simply done, yet provide enough detail for our imaginations to fill in the rest.
Village House
I love the simple, rustic charm of this home.  I especially love the shutters with the level of texture detail in them.  And, I love how apparently, the windows open into the house, while the shutters open out.
Moorish Chimneys
There was a great deal of Moorish influence that could be found throughout this area of the country, and the chimneys provide an especially charming detail illustrating this. 
Village Doorway
This image feels to me like it’s stepped out of a story.  I love the front steps with the pots of flowers alongside it.  The detail in the wrought iron decoration in front of the door is lovely and I even love the table sitting outside next to the door.  I feel like whatever is typically sitting on the table had just been taken in for the evening (we were there in the afternoon).  Whatever the story is, I think I’d like to read the book!
Shop Sign
I don’t know how to pronounce the name of the shop or what it sold, but I just loved the sign and the flowering vine that grew alongside it.  The name to me appears to be French.  I know we are in Italy, but the French island of Corsica is very, very close to Sardinia, and I’m guessing there are a variety of French influences here. 
Window and Wall Plantings
Another charming aspect of this village were the number of homes and other buildings that had greenery spilling from window boxes and from planters hanging on the wall. The different shapes of the planters only add to the interest.
Vines and Plants
Here’s another example of what I mean – the flowering vine growing up the wall of the building, complemented by the window box with other flowers blooming there. The vine is covering some sort of pipe that is barely visible – it would have been an eyesore, if not for the vine – now it’s lovely!
Decorative Greenery
Some buildings really went all out on the decorative greenery.  I can’t recall if this was a business or home, but it reminds me of how some folks go all out with their Christmas decorations!  They went all out with greenery!
Front Stairs
No overly elaborate greenery here!  But there was something about the simple lines of the front of this home that appealed to me.  There is a touch of greenery at the foot of the front steps, but otherwise, it’s the color of the building and steps that make this image!
Low Window Box
I almost walked right by this without seeing it, but I’m glad I didn’t miss it.  It reminds me of a young person who can only afford a basement apartment.  They put the greenery in the window to add a little beauty to the outside world when they open up their curtains.  Ok, that’s totally my story about this image, but I’m sticking to it!
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment