Thursday, November 19, 2015

 
Pompeii Stadium
It seems that each town in ancient Italy had its own version of a stadium or coliseum.  However, after seeing The Coliseum in Rome, I just can’t bring myself to call anything else a coliseum, so I’ve landed on the term stadium for Pompeii.
Stadium Stairs
I had mentioned when I talked about the Coliseum how I assumed the seating in it would be along the lines of stone benches.  The much smaller stadium in Pompeii seems to verify that assumption!
Exploring a Stadium
In Pompeii, it was possible to walk around more freely in the stadium than it was the scaffolding in the upper right of the image).
Seating Levels
As was the case in the Coliseum, the seating levels in this stadium were similar, and this image may make it easier to see the differences.  The lower seats were probably those used by the middle-class, merchants and the like, while the poorest of people sat in the upper level.  The metal railings were not there when Pompeii was actually in existence, of course.  They have been added as a safety precaution.
Stage and Basement
The stage and basement area of this stadium are not as well delineated as the ones at the Coliseum, but you can see them.  Of course, this stadium was much, much smaller than the Coliseum.
Step Up
I liked this image because it gives you a good idea of the steps the people would travel up to get to their seats.  Again, the similarities between this and current day stadiums almost make me chuckle!
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment