Thursday, November 19, 2015

Pompeii’s Red Light District
On our tour thru Pompeii, the tour guide took us to what may have been one of the more popular areas of town, the Red Light District, where we got to see an ancient brothel!  I have to admit, it never entered my mind that we would get to see something like this on our tour!
Most Popular District in Pompeii
Here is the street sign for at least one of the red light districts in Pompeii.  It is thought that there might have been more than one, but I don’t think they have uncovered another one yet…..or not as well preserved.
Sittii Hotel
Here is a sign right across the street from the brothel.  Can you imagine how popular this hotel may have been……at least with a certain clientele?
Pompeii Brothel Wall Art
Thank goodness the art work isn’t quite as clear as I’m sure it once was, or I’d be in trouble for posting some questionable art, I fear!  Supposedly, the fresco images on the wall in this small building (at least the first floor) were quite graphic for the day.
Brothel Bed
Let’s just say that this bed doesn’t look nearly as comfortable as the beds portrayed in the wall art!  I’m sure there were some sort of cushions and pillows on the bed, but with a concrete bed and pillow base, how comfortable could it possibly have been?  Just sayin’…..
Enjoy!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment