Sunday, November 22, 2015

Balconies in Palermo
As I believe I mentioned in a previous blog post, I was really taken by all the balconies we saw in the cities of Europe.  I know, there are balconies all over the US cities, too, but somehow, they just aren’t quite as charming as the ones in Europe – perhaps due to their age!
Balcony Rows
This image gives you an idea of just how plentiful they were on most of the city streets.  I guess because the streets are so narrow and generally crowded, this is a way for the people who live there to feel like they have a bit of nature right outside their door.
Balcony Column
Aren’t these great balconies?  I love the way the old fashioned shuttered French doors open up on to a balcony with a curved, detailed wrought iron railing.  Kind of reminds me of the balcony in the story of Romeo and Juliet!
Elegant Balcony
This balcony really did seem elegant, with the rather ornate carvings above and below it.  Again, those charming shuttered French doors opening to it.  This one, tho, appears so small, I’m not even sure one could step out onto it.
Old Building Balconies
This building was right off the plaza by the large cathedral.  This has to be my favorite image of the balconies in Palermo, because of the texture of the building.  It reminds me of my collage/mixed media art!  And, I love the touch of the woman sitting out on her balcony.  It looked as if she may have been doing some mending.  It’s sort of a snippet of everyday live in Palermo.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment