Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Rome – Balconies and Bell Towers
Ok, I might as well ‘fess up now.  I became enchanted with all the balconies and bell towers (or church towers) that we saw in what I think of as our “sampling of Europe”.  This is just the first installment…..from Rome…..
Rome Balcony
There was something about the lines of the shutters and the pillars below the semi-balcony that made me want to convert this to a pencil drawing.  I cannot really draw, but if I could, I would have sat across the street from this window and just sketched something that would have looked like this (like I said, assuming I could draw!).
Bell Tower
 
The first of several bell tower shots – I was drawn to this one because of the different sizes (and presumably tones) of the bells.  This was obviously only 1 side, but given that there were 4 sides, that would make for potentially 24 different tones – I would have loved to hear them chime!
Balconies Galore
Here are some real balconies, both on the building in the middle of the image and the pink one on the left.  I loved that these balconies were just there, over major streets and many had some lovely bits of greenery to add some natural green to the outdoor area of the apartments.
Rome Clock Tower
 
I think this clock tower may be part of a church or cathedral (see the cross on the top), but the face just above the clock sure does look rather devilish to me!  Again, I apologize for not being able to provide more info, but this was the same hop on, hop off (and never to return!) bus situation!
Lush Rome Balcony
This final image is one of my favorites from this morning’s explorations.  This balcony looks like a work of art from its substantive railing and its carvings to the lush greenery clearly planting with some scheme in mind.  I hope the interior is an extension of this lovely balcony, but that will remain one of Rome’s mysteries to me…..
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment