Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Birds on Shore – Darwin Bay – Genovesa Island – Galapagos

We did see a number of other birds, too, a bit further inland.  We actually were right on the shore for our entire hike, so it’s not like they were that much more inland than the gulls!
Frigatebird Colors
There was another collection of frigatebirds at this location.  I really liked this image of one of the males – check out the cool colors of his “black” feathers – actually, there are a few colors in there – not just black!
Female Frigatebird
In a previous post, I told you I’d show you a female frigatebird.  Not nearly as impressive as the males, with their white breast instead of the red.  Oh, well!
Galapagos Dove
Isn’t this a cool little bird – it’s a Galapagos Dove.  Altho I find its wing coloration really cool, I have to admit, my eye is really drawn to the blue circle around its eyes.
Red-Footed Boobie in Mangrove
Here’s another image of a red-footed boobie, this time nestled in a mangrove tree.  I really like this image because of the saturation of the colors in it.  The leaves of the mangrove look so lush!
Direct Stare
This little one is a red-footed boobie, very young, not having lost its baby down.  But, again, that very direct stare, demonstrating no fear of people.  Love it.
Yellow Crowned Night Heron
I walked right by this guy without seeing him at first.  Isn’t he cool?  I’m used to seeing the blue heron, but I had never seen this type of heron before.  He is actually quite a small bird, maybe about 2 feet tall.  And, I love how perfectly balanced he was on one foot.  Don’t worry – he has two, one was just tucked up.
Yellow Crowned Night Heron Head Shot
Here’s a closer view of him, so you can really see that yellow crown.  Altho his eyes were open, he seemed oblivious to us standing around photographing him.  As if he was thinking some very deep, philosophical heron thoughts!
Enjoy!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment