Thursday, September 19, 2013

Dinosaur National Monument Petroglyphs


On the road to Josie Morris' homestead, there were a few areas that contained some petroglyphs.  I am always sort of taken by petroglyphs.  I don't know if it's the artist in me, or just the fact that I'm standing so close to actual communication from people that lived where I'm standing so very long ago....


This is probably the first petroglyph of what appears to be a vase and flowers that I've ever seen!  I don't know if that's what it really is, but it certainly looks that way to me.  I'm not sure what the small carving is at the bottom of the vase....a dead bloom....maybe a bug....?  It's fun to use one's imagination when looking at these!


Here's a petroglyph of what I think is either a warrior or a hunter.  Who knew there were such tall, dark men in our past?  But, the question still remains - was he handsome???


I had just commented to Jeff that we hadn't seen as many antelope on this trip as I thought we might, when I spotted this one in the rock!  It was right next to the tall dark gentleman in the image above, so maybe he was a hunter....
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment