Thursday, September 19, 2013

Dinosaur Bones !

 
I had never heard of Dinosaur National Monument until Jeff mentioned it when we were planning this trip.  It is really a very cool place, located in both Utah and Colorado.  A huge discovery of dinosaur bones was made here, which is what prompted its becoming a national monument.  In one observation area, a "wall" of dinosaur bones was preserved so that visitors can get an idea of how incredible the discovery was.  Take a look -


The above bones seem to be a tailbone of a dinosaur.  Most of the dinosaurs found in this area were the ones that look like a brontosaurus, altho there are several different species of it.  I really like the way the shadows play on the exposed portion of the bones.


To be perfectly honest, I'm not really sure what part of the dinosaur body this is from - but the top part of it reminds me of a sort of duck billed creature of some sort.  Again, very cool the way all these bones are just right on top of each other and next to each other.


This collection of bones reminds me of some sort of ancient abstract art.  I really like the different tones that are captured in this image.  And, all the different bones!  It was very cool because at one point, we are allowed to actually touch a bone, which was I believe a thigh bone.  It was almost as long as my leg!
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment