Sunday, August 11, 2013

First Sights of Yellowstone


Very shortly after we entered Yellowstone, we pull off by a small lake, Sylvan Lake, to give Miki a chance to stretch her legs.  The first few shots are those I took while at this stop.  Then, a treat at the Visitors’ Center and along Yellowstone Lake.  Take a look –
 

What a peaceful little lake this is!  I loved the colors and reflections and the submerged log that I saw right along the shore.



My first taste of Yellowstone wildflowers!  This little bunch of blooms is what is called a Common Yampah.  The delicate beauty is anything but common!



There was a little stream leading to/from the lake, and these little beauties were blooming along that stream.  I later bought a book at the Visitors’ Center of the flowers of Yellowstone and the Tetons, and based on the picture in the book, I believe this is a Lewis Monkeyflower.  If I recall my reading, the “Lewis” in its name is the Lewis from Lewis and Clark, the explorers.  Just a little tidbit of trivia!


As we were walking into the Visitors’ Center, there was a baby swallow peeking its head out of the nest that was built into the rafters.  What a cute little guy!

 
And, finally, after we set up our campsite, we drove back to some lovely shoreline we passed on the way in.  The lake is Yellowstone Lake, and it’s really quite large!  Anyway, I just loved this old piece of driftwood along the shore.  Miki loved this place too, but that’s another post…..
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment