Thursday, August 15, 2013

Colors at Black Sand Basin



One of our first explorations took us to Black Sand Basin, near Old Faithful.  We were doing an overall drive around the lower loop of Yellowstone, and decided to avoid the “major” sites and focus on some of the smaller ones.  It was the height of the day, and we thought we could avoid the crowds with this approach.  Happy to say – it generally worked!  Anyway, the colors of the geysers at Black Sand Basin were really beautiful.  Take a look –

I liked this geyser because it was very accommodating in terms of “erupting” frequently.  It’s called Spouter Geyser and I guess it lives up to its name!  I did like the lovely blue color, altho the smell of the sulpher left something to be desired (smells like rotten eggs)!


The above image is of a spring (not geyser) called Green Spring.  I’m not sure why it has that name, because the color was once again that gorgeous blue color.  I also like the fact that you can see that this basin is nestled right into the woods!


Aren’t the colors in this image great?  This is Rainbow Pool, and it certainly lives up to its name.  I just love the way the colors sort of run into each other, yet there’s no real blending of any sort.


This image strikes me because it shows the colors of the oxide in the foreground from other geysers flowing down to the river, which looks very inviting, but I think I’ll pass on actually taking a dip!  The steaming pool in the background is Green Spring.  The other thing I love about this image is that it looks so bright and bold one could think I played around with it, but I didn’t!  This is the way the colors actually look!

 
In this last image from this area, we’re looking at the river that flows thru the basin from the opposite perspective than in previous images.  I really like the way the moss or seaweed or whatever it is seems to point at Spouter Geyser, off in the background.  Again, the colors are really magnificent.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment