Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Digital Collages


Here are some new digital collage ATCs I created for a swap.  The theme of the swap was "Forgotten Places" and most of these have scenes from some ghost towns we've visited here in New Mexico.  Take a look......
 


This first image is of a door, specifically the doorknob, of a deserted building in the town of  Chloride.  Some of the layers include a watercolor background, a vintage postcard, and some brush-stokes in the shape of keys that I downloaded online.  Oh, and of course, the image of the doorknob.


This second piece is based on an image I shot in a cemetery in Cerillos. There are layers of watercolor, some background paper I made using the Citra-Solv technique, a music sheet, and the image itself.  The cemetery is still used, I believe, but this image was from a section of older graves.


This image is not of a ghost town, altho the background of the room looks like it might be.  Actually, that tattered room is another of the Citra-Solv backgrounds I've come up with.  I included some text in what looks to be a child's handwriting.  The image of the young woman is from a vintage photo I have, altho I don't know who she is.  She is one of my favorite subjects, tho.  The little girl in the center of the piece is actually a photo of my Mom, taken when she was quite the young child.  Remembering one's childhood can stir up all types of emotions, and I think you can project your own onto this piece.


The non-existent town of  Waldo is the subject of this piece.  The only thing left of this town are the foundations of some old coke ovens.  The town was built right along the tracks, and the coke ovens were just on the other side of the tracks.  We actually had to climb over a fence to get here.  I'm sure we weren't supposed to, but, there wasn't anyone there to see us!  And, I just love the vintage photo of the young lady with her bag and a determined look in her eye, waiting to board her train.  I added that vintage postcard again, and decided the piece was complete.


The town of Fulsome is shown above.  The old main street really had a great feel to it, in terms of making you feel the spirit of the town as it once was.  The background was another of my Citra-Solv background, and I had to add the image of the raven.  The text across the top of the piece was text that remained after the Citra-Solv technique.  I thought it added such a good touch, I decided to just leave it there.


This last piece is another one that is not of a ghost town.  The background is another Citra-Solv number.  I added in the handwriting from (I believe) a vintage postcard.  On the far left of the piece is a vintage image of the young soldier who I'm imagining wrote the letter to his love, the haunting woman shown in the lower left corner.  This woman is actually a photo I took of one of the statues at the Cemetery at Ricoleta in Buenos Aires, Argentina, when we visited there several years ago.  This statute is one of my favorite images from that cemetery.  As a little tidbit of info, that cemetery is where Eva Peron (Evita) is laid to rest.  No statute like this at her family's crypt, tho.
 
 
Enjoy ~

No comments:

Post a Comment