Friday, January 4, 2013

Norwegian Fjord Horses

Yesterday, I went over to take some photos of a friend's horses, a pair of Norwegian Fjords.  I'd never heard of them before, but they are an ancient breed, dating back some 4,000 years!  Per some info I've been able to research on the Internet, they were first domesticated about 2000 BC.  My friend says that the horses used to actually live in the same house as their owners, since the owners used the body heat from the horses for warmth in their homes.  They are smaller horses, and incredibly gentle and calm.  Not to mention photogenic!


This is Jewel. Such a sweet face with a sweet personality to match.  However, altho these horses are very gentle with people, they can get into quite the tiff with each other.  My friend had hers separated because the other horse did something to tick off this little lady!


And, here is that culprit!  His name is Ozzie, and he's quite the charmer (at least as far as humans go!), isn't he?  Since it's winter, both he and Jewel are very woolly at the moment!


Check out how long and woolly their coats are around the feet!  Somehow, I think this keeps them warmer than any socks I own keep me warm!!


Two things are really cool about this photo.  One is the color of Ozzie's mane - what cool streaked locks!  The other are the length of his lashes.  You may need to click on the image to enlarge it to really see them, but they are incredible - and since they are black, they show up nicely against his coat!


Here he is just showing off his backyard view!  I didn't have the heart to tell him that I have the same view.  Still, what a lovely image this is of him in his "home" setting.


And, I guess this is the way a Norwegian Fjord tells you the photo shoot is over!  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment