Saturday, December 21, 2013

Deserted Cabin

 
I have loved this deserted cabin since we moved here.  It's on a little country road about 10 minutes from our home.  Whenever I drive by it, I always think I need to photograph it again.  I first photographed it a couple of years ago, but noticed that it is getting closer to completely collapsing (2 walls have already fallen), so I wanted to photograph it at least one more time before it's gone.


I always park off the road in some one's drive into their place and right next to where I park is the fenced in field in which the cabin sits.  The barbed wire fencing adds to the rustic feel of the cabin, with the makings of a lovely sunrise as backdrop.  I can only shoot this cabin at this time of the year to get that great backdrop - in the summer, the sun rises further to the north and it's not nearly as pretty.  So, a few chilly fingers are worth it for these types of images!


I got a bit closer for this image (above) and you can see better the precarious state the cabin is in.  With the tree just outside of it, the character is just so great.  I just love the feel of this place.


For this shot, I walked around to the front of the cabin.  You can see the front door, mostly off its hinges, and the fact that the back wall is totally gone.  Again, the tree in front of the cabin with its bare winter branches really frames this image so well.


For this image, I walked back and took a shot of the entire old homestead.  Again, that sky is the perfect backdrop for this winter morning shot.  The fence and the little country road just bring back feelings of what it must have been like to live out here in years gone by.  If you look closely, you can see a jet contrail in the upper left of the image - however, it sort of looks like a falling star, doesn't it?


For this last image, I crossed the road and stood by the fence on the opposite side.  I transformed this image into a black and white image just to capture more of the feeling of yesterday.  Also, look how alone this little cabin was. 
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment