Thursday, April 25, 2013

Space Museum - Alamogordo, NM

Another place we visited during our camping weekend was the Space Museum in Alamogordo, NM.  One of the cool things that I didn't get a shot of was Jeff flying the space shuttle simulator - altho the controls were quite sluggish, he did manage to land us safely!  Here are some other cool things we saw there -


Here was an actual space crew capsule from the Apollo space program.  Altho it was fairly decent sized, when I thought about 3 folks being in it for any length of time, it seemed rather small and cramped.  Oh, well - I guess that comfort wasn't really the point!


This piece was interesting.  It's a piece of a German V2 rocket from World War II, that tumbled out of space and landed not far from the museum here in New Mexico!  Altho it is quite beat up, it was cool to be close to something from WWII built by our enemy (at least for that war).


This was a rocket used by the Army.  I just really liked the clean lines and the way it looked against the blue, blue sky.


It was cool to be able to stand this close to one of the rocket boosters from the Gemini rockets.  I really like the pattern of it, and may try manipulating this image into some cool background paper for my art.  I'll bet those engineers didn't even consider that when building this!

 
This is a view of the inside of a Saturn V rocket engine - again, I was able to get really close to it.  I just loved the pattern of this, and once again, this may find its way into my art.  I know, those engineers who developed this are probably rolling over in their graves.....or I'm sending them there!  It's just so cool, tho!
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment