Monday, September 21, 2015



Low Clouds  - Lone Tree
Recently, we took a wonderful camping trip in northern New Mexico.  Our first stop was at Sugarite Canyon State Park.  The first morning we were here, the clouds were so low, they ran throughout the campground and obscured our view of most things – including the other side of the canyon and the view down the canyon.
Earlier in the season, or more probable last season, there appeared to have been a controlled burn of an area of trees just below our campsite.  There was one tree, dead, altho still standing.  There was something about that tree, caught in the clouds…… 
Lone Tree
This image can evoke a number of emotions.  As I look at it, I can feel sadness or loneliness, solitude or peace, calm or beauty.  I suppose could even be a feeling of evil or foreboding, altho that’s not something I can easily imagine looking at it.  A friend indicated to her it was somewhat Taoist, which is an ancient Chinese religion focusing on living in harmony.  I especially like that idea as it gives a dead tree continued life.
Grey Sky
This is the same tree from a different perspective.  Later that same morning, with the clouds still hanging around our campsite, we began our drive to explore the area around the state park.  As we drove down the access road to the campground, I looked up and saw the tree, I asked Jeff to stop so I could capture it.  Only one word comes to mind as I look at the tree from this perspective – magnificent.
Enjoy!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment