Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Exploring the Unknown
I have been curious and intrigued by encaustics for a few years now.  Finally, a month or so ago, I took a photo encaustic one-day workshop that opened my eyes to how I could incorporate it into my photography – and collage as well.  For those of you who may not know what encaustic medium is, it’s a mixture of beeswax and resin.  It can be clear or a natural color which is a pale yellow.  Pigments can also be added to it to result in colors.  Let’s take a look on my practice pieces from August….
 Two Trees
This is a photo I took of a couple of trees not far from our home.  I placed the photo on top of some vintage sheet music.  Altho this came out ok, I think I can do better.  Still, good for an early attempt.
Morning Journals
This was my favorite one from my first practice session.  To me, it speaks to some things that I do often in the mornings – write in my journal, my morning pages, and photograph the area wherever we are, home or traveling.
Late Autumn
There’s a lot going on in this piece.  I incorporated a number of collage elements, but the centerpiece is another of the trees I love to photograph.  I do sort of like the textured look of this piece, but I don’t think it’s as strong as it could be.
Gloomy Winter Day
This is another of my favorites.  I shot this image on a winter day while driving around in a snow storm!  I really wanted to capture this deserted cabin during a winter storm, so when opportunity presented itself, I bundled up and went driving around to see what I could capture!  I began playing around with how an oil pastel crayon sort of melted and flowed when I heated up the board to fuse the layers of encaustic.  It reminded me of how it felt outside on that wintry day, and I knew I had to include this image in this piece.  I kept thinking about adding something to it, but after trying several different items, I decided that the piece really spoke to exactly how the day was when this image was captured. 
More practice to come, but for now –
Enjoy!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment