Thursday, June 13, 2013

Birds Along the Rio Chama & A Surprise

As we explored along the Rio Chama, we came across more birds that I guess I expected to see.  Take a look......


I'm pretty certain the images above and below are of cormorants.  I don't know that I've seen these birds  in this part of New Mexico since we moved here, but there were a number of them here on the river!  I love watching them take off.  They sort of "run" on the water until they get up enough speed for their wings to lift them into the air!


In this image, it seems like a couple of the cormorants are leaving their buddy behind.  Don't worry, tho - a few seconds after this shot, the guy on the far left of the image took wing, too!


I'm not sure why, but it just felt odd watching the Canadian geese fly overhead down here in New Mexico!  They did land and enjoy the river, but I wanted to share this image because I never noticed their flying pattern before.  Check it out - geese #1 & #3 are in one position, while geese #2 & #4 are in another.  No matter how many shots I took of them flying, this alternating pattern was there.  Interesting!


Here was another surprise - a heron enjoying the river.  I guess I sort of startled him when I started snapping photos, because he decided (suddenly) to take off.  Still, I was able to capture this image of him "in action" so to speak!


And, here's the surprise.  Even tho it's not a "natural" bird, this image of a man made bird (a jet) and it's contrail while the moon was still in the sky created a lovely photo!
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment