Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Yucca Seed Pods


I was very intrigued by these yucca pods.  I felt I really needed to capture these and so I struggled over some sand plowed sand drifts (and provided entertainment for other visitors driving by!) to get to them.  One of the plants really captured my attention…..
 
The first thing that I noticed was how the yucca seedpod seemed to be reaching for the Sacramento Mountains in the distance.  Then, the more I looked at that scene, the more I saw that “reaching” seemed to be the theme of this view.  You can see the shadows seem to be reaching in the same direction, but the yucca plant itself and the grasses nearby seemed to be reaching for the sky.  The mountains and dunes seem to be flowing thru the image and add a nice anchor.
 
If “reaching” seems to be the theme to the first image, then “merge” is the theme of this image.  As I shot it, it felt like the dunes were merging into the sky, taking on the color of the sky and just sort of flowing up to meet it.  In this image, the yucca is the anchoring point.  Funny how a change in perspective can change everything, isn’t it?

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment