Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Layers of Sand and Sky



In addition to Lines and Curves, I also love the natural layers that occur at White Sands.  Whether its layers of Dunes or Layers of Clouds in the sky, they were certainly there in abundance today!

 
Here’s a great example of what I mean! Check out the layers of the image – the Dunes have layers driven by distance between them, and also by the type of grass growing on the Dunes.  Given that the shape and structure of the Dunes changes all the time, the grasses certainly have to be very flexible about where they live!  Today, the sky gave the Dunes a run for their money in terms of the layering going on there!  You can barely see it, but the bottom layer of clouds hint at the sunset that is soon to come.

 
For some reason, some of the scenes today just cried out to be black and white images.  I liked the look of this scene in black and white – sort of accentuates the layers.  When I look at this image, I’m reminded of Ansel Adams.  No, I’m not comparing myself to him!  But, can you image what he could have done with White Sands if he had photographed it?

 
The mood of this scene is wonderful.  When I saw it thru my viewfinder, I had to capture it.  The clouds are starting to lose their color and vibrancy as evening approaches.  You can see a little sliver of sunlight in the clouds and as it touches the grasses on the Dunes below, highlighting them beautifully.  How wonderful to just “be” with this scene.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Nadine, I love the b/w. It shows the essence of the desert, the vastness, that I think the colored photos do not convey. Beautiful, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete