Monday, May 13, 2013

Photo Assignment - Sunset Clouds

I gave myself an assignment last evening.  I parked my butt on one of the sitting rocks out by our fire pit off the back patio and decided to shoot the clouds and sunset from that one spot without moving.  This is a creativity exercise I learned in a photo seminar a few years back.  It really helps to get one's creative vision sharpened, as it forces you to really look, take in, and truly see what's around you.  The sunset wasn't one of our spectacular ones, but I did end up with some good images anyway!


I was very taken with the above cloud formation.  At times, I thought it looked kind of like the Starship Enterprise (and people thought clouds could only look like little animals!), but it just kept sort of evolving, and this was one of the better shots that I captured of it.  By the end of the evening, it had just sort of disintegrated into wisps, so I'm glad that I got this cool sort of contrasty view of it.


The timing was just perfect for this shot, in that I caught the rays of the sun just before it dipped below the horizon.  That sunburst in the corner really makes this shot.

 
And, finally, this last shot was captured after the sun dipped below the horizon, but while it was still lighting up the sky a bit.  Again, I was just taken by the contrast in the sky, and didn't even notice the contrail until I was processing this!  I thought it was an interesting element, because we think of airplane jets as fairly large, but you can see how truly small they are when compared to the sky in which they fly.  You may need to click on the image to enlarge it to see the contrail but it's in the upper left quadrant of the image. 
 
All this from my perch on the sitting rock!
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment