Monday, March 11, 2013

Creative Cropping


I've been reading the book I got on Photoshop Elements and found this great new cropping tool called "Cookie Cutter".  It allows me to crop with uneven edges.  Take a look -


The above image was cropped with a lot of feathering.  Feathering allows the edges to soften - in this case quite a bit.  I like the feeling of this image cropped because I think the soft cropping adds to the gentle feeling of the flowers themselves.


This image doesn't use any feathering in the cropping, and I think it gives a sort of "torn from the pages" effect that I kind of like as well.  It does create an entirely different feeling, tho, doesn't it?


This one was kind of fun!  I used a circular type crop and also didn't use much feathering.  I think it will work well, as long as the image lends itself to a somewhat circular shape.  I didn't do much feathering here, either, as I felt the feathering would reduce the circular swirling feel to the crop and image.


And, finally, here's a photo of a daisy (Rocky Mountain Townsend Daisy).  The crop isn't feathered here, either, but the type/shape of crop really felt a bit gentler and seemed to match the edging of the daisy. The petals don't really have soft edges, but still have a gentle feel to them, as does the cropping. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment