Friday, November 15, 2013

Wood Block Houses!


What fun!  I saw similar wood block houses in a creative magazine I subscribe to - and I thought they looked so fun, I had to try my hand at it.  I really like the whimsical feel they have.  


The houses start off as 2' x 4' pieces of wood.  Jeff had a scrap piece laying around the hanger, and cut it up for me.  The base of the house is one piece, and the roof is a similar piece, but cut in half diagonally.



I sanded the blocks a bit and then covered them with various pieces of text and music.  I then painted them with white paint and then wiped it off, to create a sort of whitewash.  I then did the same with various colors.


I then applied some various texture "stamps"  - bubble wrap, the bottom of flip flops, hair comb teeth, etc.!  I also added in some paint swipes of other colors.  (By the way, don't you love the funky shape of this roof?  Jeff thought it was a mistake, but I think it's character!) 


I then added a number of cut-outs, stencils, and drilled some holes in the roofs to add whimsical jeweled mobiles or wind chimes - whatever you want to call them! The icing on the cake are the positive affirmation words used on each house.  I'm thinking of putting them up for sale in my future online shop - what do you think I should call them?  I'm open for ideas!!
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment