Tuesday, June 2, 2015


Sketches in Ollantaytambo
Walking in the old incredibly narrow streets of what I think of as “old” Ollantaytambo resulted in some wonderful scenes that made great photo sketches.  Take a look –
Colorful Signs – Oil
When I say the streets in the old part of town were narrow, this hopefully gives you an idea of exactly how narrow they are!  They are basically the width of a sidewalk in the city.  One interesting thing this sketch illustrates is the small canal under the colorful sign on the left side of the image.  Almost every street in this part of town had one of these on one side and water flowed down these canals, both now and back in the day.  It wasn’t water that one would drink – I think it was water that had been used for washing dishes, clothes and for bathing.
Patient Puppy in Oil
 
When I saw this pup, I knew I had to capture him in a photo and sketch!  He was so patient, just sitting and then laying outside the little shop waiting for his human to emerge.  I just loved the little café type sign and the people walking in the background.  Charming.
Basket of Corn
This isn’t a sketch, but seemed to fit in with the theme of this post.  This basket of corn was sitting in front of the private home that we visited in Ollantaytambo.  I love the vibrant colors of the various types of corn.
Typical Street in Oil
 
Here’s another street scene from the ancient part of Ollantaytambo.  I really love the colors and textures, from the roofs, the building walls, and the cobblestone walks/streets.
The Blue Door
I will leave you with this image of the brightest colored door I saw in Ollantaytambo – electric blue!  Such a good balance of the bright blue against the more neutral brickwork of the building and the street.
 
Enjoy! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment