Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Winter Themed Found Poetry ATCs

I just completed an ATC (Artist Trading Card) swap that I really enjoyed!  The stated theme for the swap was "winter themed found poetry".  Found poetry is basically poetry that one creates by using words and phrases found in books.  I use book pages that I've removed from books that I've altered.  It's always interesting to see how the words and phrases sort of "grab" you and somehow just manage to come together!  Each of the pieces has paint as the background - white, with silver sort of wiped over that (with a baby wipe) and then stamped images of snowflakes and occasionally a punched snowflake.  I wanted to create the feeling of a winter snow storm as the background for these.


For the above piece, I used a transparency on which I stamped the image of the face.  She has sort of a dreamy, private feel to her, and that type of persona seems to sometimes just generate rumors and negative thoughts among certain folks.  The phrases I found just seemed to fit that overall feeling.  Somehow, I like to think she rises above all of that.


What is winter without the Christmas holidays (or whatever holiday you celebrate)?  For this piece, I again used a piece of transparency stamped with an image of a face.  This time, I colored in her eye and her lips - after all, she is at a holiday party (in my imagination)!  I then found these phrases that just sort of created the feeling of her standing back at the party and reflecting on all the other people there enjoying themselves, and thinking about what she'd like to have happen.


There was something about this young man that appealed to me.  He seems to be sort of interested and up for some sort of new adventure, but hesitant just the same.  The phrases seemed to fit, altho I have to wonder what the question was that created those possible answers.  The bird just seemed to add the perfect touch, like he represents us, an audience watching the next installment of this young man's life unfold!


This final piece reminded me of those times, either as a child or an adult, when I would be standing by a window, watching what was going on outside - a sort of invisible all-seeing eye, in a way.  The reference to "silence" also reminds me of how muffled everything sounds right after a snow storm, as if Nature is just telling us to "hush".

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment