Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Mixed Media Mini Art

Here's a new idea that I tried initially to submit a Readers' Challenge to Cloth, Paper, Scissors magazine for possible publication (still haven't heard if my piece is selected).  It gave me the idea to take the idea I had for note cards, and use that idea on mini-canvases.  These are the results of that exploration, and were Christmas presents for some friends this Christmas.


The above piece is based on a photograph that I took of a lily in our front garden this past summer.  I used PhotoShop Elements 10 to enhance the image so that it looks more like a painting that a photo.  The background of the piece is a couple of layers of paint in a color complementary to the photo.  I then added some handmade paper, and other decorative paper to slightly contrast the color palette, and added the word "Live".  My feeling is that we should all strive to truly live each day of our lives, and not let life pass us by while we are unthinking passengers.


This piece speaks to me in terms of reminding me to be fully present every day.  The bright yellow flowers were taken this past summer when we were in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.  It would have been very easy for me to miss these beautiful blooms, given all the beautiful blooms in that area of Victoria. However, slowing down and looking down showed me these wonderful treasures.  Again, I added handmade and decorative paper to complement/contrast the basic palette of the piece.  Ribbon is added around the edges of each piece, which you couldn't really see in the first piece, but is more noticeable in this piece.  And, the word "Be" speaks to being present. 


There was something about this fern leaf that reached out and touched me when I saw it.  We were in Juneau, and had ridden the tram there up to the top of the mountain immediately next to the city.  Atop the mountain was a rain forest with a path winding thru it.  This fern was one of several photos I took up there, but it just sort of spoke to me as being the best image to use for this piece.  I love the fact that the handmade paper I chose to complement it has a leaf embedded in it that seems to echo the image.


This final piece uses a digital collage that I created as it's theme.  I love the image of the little girl and there is some handwritten paper in the background of the piece.  The autumn leaves reflect the coloring of the little girl, and the original title of the digital collage piece was "Someday I'll Write".  I decided to stick with that title and used the word "Someday" for this piece.  The snippet of handmade paper with handwriting stamped on it echoes the handwriting in the digital collage and the decorative paper is in keeping with the color palette.  The little piece of ephemera I added to the piece is not a feather, altho it sort of looks like one here.  It's actually a piece of sort of fuzzy ribbon that I thought added just the right touch.  I really like the sort of whimsical dreamy feel of this piece.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment